Friday, December 1, 2006

Oh my aching head

Last night was my company's holiday party. More on that later. Before the party I decided to go and see Shortbus at Clearview Cinema on 23rd St. I never go there and was pretty suprised, and happy, to see this small independent film on a rather large screen.

I have to say, what a great movie. Its pretty rare that I get drawn into the character's lives on screen and completely forget that I'm watching a movie. But there were points where I felt like it was a documentary. And not because all the performances were amazing, but more because the dialogue and situations rang true. I had read some cast interviews before going to see it and I understand the "couples" in the movie actually spent a couple of years developing their characters, their relationships, and even their dialogue. Someone should suggest this to bigger filmmakers - although when the Hollywood elite are trying to squeeze as many $20 million roles as they can into a year I guess they don't have the time to develop their characters or have actual chemistry with the other actors.

Anywho, the party. Blah. In all fairness it was a decent venue (Triumph room in Providence restaurant on W.57th). And for most of my 20-somthing, hip hop loving, high fiving, fratboy minded coworkers it was probably a great time. I unfortunately am not in my 20's, hate hip hop, and never was a frat boy, so for me it was a long evening. How does one handle such a situation? Jack 'n coke, Pete's Wicked Ale, vodka sodas. So I was able to numb my senses, make the most of it and even wound up at the after party bar of choice - Social. Ugghhhh is all I have to say. Social is one of those bars where people with abosulutely no taste in anything, and guys who only know how to communicate to other guys by discussing sports (which was on all the tv monitors), go to drink and actually think a midtown bar is "happening". When I look at these people I can hear the neighbor in American Beauty telling Mena Suvari (sp?) "You're boring and you know it".

Luckily a coworker had his car and lives nearby in Flatbush so I was able to escape and get home relatively early. Unfortunately the damage was already done though and I'm sitting here this morning with a hangover. Not the my-head-is-pounding type, but more the thick, sluggish, lethargic, hazy feeling that you get after too many nights of heavy drinking. Which is wierd, because other than a glass or 2 of wine after work every night I haven't really been drinking much lately. Oh well, nothing a few cups of coffee won't cure.

No comments: